JACOB WEISBERG'S TIRESOME CONDESCENSION




David French, has a great article here

http://www.evangelicalsformitt.org/front_page/jacob_weisbergs_tiresome_conde.php

about "Jacob Weisberg's Tiresome Condescension"

David says, "Hold on there, chief. Is it really true that mainstream Christianity and Judaism are acceptable only because we've turned "their myths into metaphor?"

"On their face, these claims are pretty fantastic (and Mormons believe them too, by the way). And this illustrates a point we have long made here at EFM: if we evangelicals allow reasoning like this to derail the candidacy of a brilliant, faithful, man of integrity like Governor Romney, is there any assurance -- any assurance at all -- that the very same reasoning won't be turned on us?"

This reminds me of a great line from "A Man For All Seasons":

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

It also reminds me of this:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Jews, Catholics, and Protestants everywhere that want to be judged as individuals not by religious bigotry need to stand up to religious bigots like Jacob Weisberg. Closet religious bigotry is one thing, but Jacob Weisberg is proud of the fact that he is willing to judge people by their religion, as apposed to on an individual basis. If you don't stand up for Mitt right to be judged on his individual accomplishments and characteristics, you will be judged that much more, because of what group you belong to.

Click here for the article.


~~~Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment