One year ago...Revision 2

One year ago...

I was listening to Michael Savage talk aobut the need for better mental health care, in relation to what has happened with this Cho. Cho was ruled Mentally ill by court; but let go after a hospital visit. It seems to me that we don't want to tell anyone that there is anything wrong with them. Like we don't want to hurt their feelings...

Apparently Virginia Tech knew he had health problems, but didn't tell his room-mate!

I have an adopted brother who is homeless in LA who has schizophrenia. The issue of mental health care means a lot to me. My brother was told by a psychologist that he had schizophrenia, while he was living with my parents. My parents tried for years to figure out what was wrong with him, and this information from the psycologist would have helped.

Hillary is right. It does take a village or community. I'm glad their was a professional psychologist. Romney is also right. It takes a family. My parents can not take care of my brother. They are 72 years old. They need help, but they need to be included. I wish that this psychologist had worked better with my parents. I wish Cho's psychologist, who said that he was mentally ill, had worked better to protect the community from him.

The problem is that no one seems to look at our institutions holistically. That, I guess, is the lesson learned from Thomas P. Barnett's, The Pentagon's New Map. That is also what Mitt Romney is trying to get to when he says; " Goldwater-Nichols Act removed barriers to unify efforts across the services. This included establishing "joint commands ".

The whole system needs a stem-to-stern review.

Those who have read his book turnaround, or witnessed him first hand at the 2002 winter olympics, can't help but support Romney, because of the wholistic approach that he brings to problem solving.

Do you see a pattern from the following statement?

Too often we struggle to integrate our military and civilian instruments of national power into coherent, timely and effective operations. When facing the need to strengthen the democratic underpinnings of a country like Lebanon, our education, health, banking, energy, commerce, law enforcement and diplomatic resources are in separate bureaucracies, all under separate leadership, all protecting their own powers and their own prerogatives. So while we watched, Hezbollah brought healthcare and schools to the Lebanese. Guess who the people followed when conflict ensued? The same thing happened with Hamas and the Palestinians.

What does any of this have to do with Cho or my brother?

Read the following:

"As the Haleigh Poutre case demonstrates, errors in human judgment occur. What is unusual is how many people involved in Haleigh's care – medical professionals, case workers and administrators from many disciplines – made errors. I welcome new systems and processes that will identify and guard against circumstances where human error may have severe consequences."
Governr Mitt Romney,
03-21-2006 Press Release

Do you see the similarities? It's not a specific healthcare, military, or mental health problem. There is a problem with everything. Everything in America is a beurocratic nightmare where "administrators from many disciplines – made errors. [Romney] welcome new systems and processes that will identify and guard against circumstances where human error may have severe consequences."

No one seems to understand this or point it out. They would rather talk about Romney's positions in his church as a former CEO of a STRATIGIC BUSINESS CONSULTING FIRM, THAT CHARGED OTHER BUSINESSES MONEY TO TELL THEM WHAT TO DO. ROMNEY WAS A CEO FOR A COMPANY THAT FIXED OTHER COMPANIES. HE IS Winston 'The Wolf' Wolfe FROM PULP FICTION.

The Wolf: You're... Jimmie, right? This is your house?
Jimmie: Sure is.
The Wolf: I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.

and

The Wolf: Jimmie, lead the way. Boys, get to work.
Vincent: A please would be nice.
The Wolf: Come again?
Vincent: I said a please would be nice.
The Wolf: Get it straight buster - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better f----- do it and do it quick! I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.
Jules: No, Mr. Wolf, it ain't like that...
Vincent: I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't like people barking orders at me.
The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the car!

Well, Romney is a little nicer.

It seems that the psychologist who worked with my brother viewed my parents as an enemy, but not a partner. Oh! But they are adults! We can't violate their privacy, or their rights!

If my crazy brother wants to live on the streets, we have to let him! If Cho, or others who have been ruled, "mentally ill" wants to get degrees in our schools, we have to let them!

My parents could have helped my brother a lot more, if it wasn't for patient-client privilege.

I was a life guard (click for picture) on a lake for 3 summers. You had to pass a swimmer's test in order to go into the swimmers area (click link for picture). Those who do not have the ability to survive in the swimmer's area, and those who cannot function in today's society, should not be treated as though they can. It would be wrong of me to let non-swimmers into the deep portion of the lake. Cho was a non swimmer. It was wrong to pretend that he was OK. It was wrong to tell him, that I'm OK, your OK, we are all OK. It was wrong to say that he should be treated the same as everyone else, just as it is wrong for me to let non swimmer go to the middle of the lake.

This from Romneym about 1 year ago:

"As the Haleigh Poutre case demonstrates, errors in human judgment occur. What is unusual is how many people involved in Haleigh's care – medical professionals, case workers and administrators from many disciplines – made errors. I welcome new systems and processes that will identify and guard against circumstances where human error may have severe consequences."
Governr Mitt Romney,
03-21-2006 Press Release

"A tragic crisis shone a spotlight last year on the operations and culture of the Department of Correction. This group of experts worked long and hard to identify areas of weakness in our state prison network. Their conclusion is clear: It is time to correct our system of correction."
Governor Mitt Romney,
06-30-2004 Press Release
Accepting the commission's report at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center

2003
04-18-2003; Governor Mitt Romney names dr. Childs mental health commissioner
02-14-2003;
ROMNEY ANNOUNCES COMMISSION TO PREVENT HOMELESSNESS; Tasked with coordinating state services to homeless
02-24-2003; ROMNEY ANNOUNCES HHS REORGANIZATION AS PART OF BUDGET; Plan closes more than 30 under-utilized local offices, achieves $90 million in savings
03-10-2003; HHS CONSOLIDATIONS TO SAVE MILLIONS AND IMPROVE SERVICE; Closing 36 underutilized offices will save the state $2.3 million in FY04
08-01-2003; ROMNEY ANNOUNCES $8.9 MILLION TO CREATE 825 MORE HOMES

2004
09-15-2004;
ROMNEY CREATES ADVISORY COUNCIL ON CORRECTIONS REFORM
06-30-2004; HARSHBARGER COMMISSION RECOMMENDS BLUEPRINT FOR REFORM

2005
02-14-2005; LT. GOV. HEALEY FILES BILL TO MANDATE POST-RELEASE SUPERVISION; Move will cut down on recidivism among former inmates

2006
04-13-2006; HEALEY ANNOUNCES MASSACHUSETTS' FIRST RECOVERY HIGH SCHOOL
03-21-2006; Poutre Panel Recommends Reforms in Child Welfare System

~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment